Within a month or two of arriving in FL we found out we were going to be having another child. To put it mildly I am not a very pleasant person when I am pregnant. So. . . . a long story short first semester was somewhat of a doosey, and poor Mr Jones did not do so well in school and it was weird-ing us out because he is brilliant and has never had any trouble testing or focusing before in his life. But alas, first semester ended and there were classes that he would have to retake one by 3 percent the other by 1 percent. GRRRRR summer remediation FINE, but Its all good, because I won't be pregnant next semester so things will be good. . . or not. the next semester left us with more classes to repeat so summer remediation was not an option anymore we/he have to repeat first year. This time things will be better we will have a reduced class load and maybe out newborn will grow out of this velociraptor crying scream thing he does and start sleeping more than 2 hrs in a row and WE CAN DO THIS. . . or not. Even as things calmed down with our baby a little bit Med school still had Mr Jones depressed and unfocused and unable to pass tests he knew the information for. As we came upon the option of doing first year for a third time we decided enough was enough. Mr Jones didn't even like the idea of medicine anymore. We were all miserable and there wasn't any amount of money in the world that was worth putting our family through this madness anymore. So, we sucked up our debt, all six digits of it, and left the expensive land of Florida to come live in a basement free of charge while we used up the rest of our student loans and searched for a job. Mr. Jones is looking for employment options where he can shoot things, taze people, jump out of helicopters or have people yell at him to stay physically fit. If you know of any jobs like that who are looking for people with degrees in Biology please let me know.
You may not believe this from the above, but I actually miss Florida and our Medical School adventure. It was reallygreat for my marriage in the end, Mr Jones and I both avoid confrontation like that kid smelly who doesn't wear deodorant and has no concept of personal space. So we learned to talk to each other really well really quickly when there was so much stress going on. I also made the best of friends in Florida I miss them with all my heart and really wish that we could all be together always. I miss the clowder of feral cats that roam every neighborhood and the threat of alligators at every sign of water (I only ever heard of one dog being eaten while we were there). There are a million crazy things about Florida, most of them used to drive me crazy, but looking back on the whole experience I wouldn't change a single thing, not even the leathery grandpas on the beach wearing thongs; they always make you feel so much better about the way you look in your own bathing suit :)
Mr Jones and Friends made this video the first semester of school. Little did he know.
I remember when we were both pregnant at the AOA conference. We've had a rough time of it, too. We repeated second year after remediating a class from first year. We're on round two of boards. I wish I was certain that the hard part would be over once he passes that test, but they do it every year and then more tests in residency. Ugh! Good luck finding a career that will bless your family. What are his obligations to the Navy?
ReplyDeletebecause they don't need him he will simply get an honorable discharge and we will owe them money. Lets hope he gets a job before they want too much back. I'm glad to know we weren't the only ones repeating classes. As long as you will be happy in the long run keep at it. It will be worth it. For us though Life has never been more pleasant since we walked away.
DeleteThanks for sharing! I totally understand about life changes. <3 If you ever need anything let me know. :)
ReplyDeleteWell hope all is well and he finds a job soon. :) Good luck. We will miss you guys.
ReplyDelete